1002 Washington Ave., 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
Applicants who wish to install or change out the ballast on a new light pole in a parking lot, ball park, stadium, or large facility parking lot must apply for an electrical permit. Some types of security lighting may also require an electrical permit.
The following are exempt from permitting:
- Bulb replacement in an existing light pole.
- The addition of a security camera to an existing pole if the camera does not require a new circuit to support the additional electrical load.
Please note: Electrical permits may only be issued to registered electrical contractors.
Electrical contractors seeking a permit should be prepared to provide:
- A copy of their state license if they need to register before submitting an application for an electrical permit,
- A letter of intent for poles that do not have electrical service at the time of application, and
- A completed copy of the CE-1057 Electrical Building Permit Application.
To apply for an electrical permit online, please have your registered electrical contractor:
- Log in or register for an iPermits account
- Complete an electrical permit application in the iPermits portal,
- Pay any applicable fees associated with the application, and
- Print the permit.
Alternatively, completed applications may be emailed to [email protected].
Please have your registered electrical contractor submit a completed copy of the CE-1057 Electrical Building Permit Application to our main office located at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002.
To apply for an electrical permit by fax, please have your registered electrical contractor send a completed copy of the CE-1057 Electrical Building Permit Application to 832.395.9601.
Please note that an SR account/APA is required to request a permit by fax.
Please note that large scale commercial projects may require plan review before approval. When requesting a plan review for your project, please be sure to provide two complete sets of plans if submitting by paper.
To submit your plans for review online:
- After permit fees have been paid, you will receive an invitation to upload plans into ProjectDox.
- Upload all required documents and drawings to ProjectDox.
- Mark the assigned task "complete" to finalize your plan submission.
To submit your plans for review please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002.
Once submitted, your plans will be routed to an electrical plan examiner who will determine if your project meets code. When your review cycle is complete, you will be notified that your plans are ready for pickup.
To resubmit plans with corrections, please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor window at 1002 Washington.
Projects that required a complete plan review must retain a copy of the approved plans on site for inspections.
If your project passes inspection, documentation will be entered into the database. If corrections are required, you may reschedule an inspection online or by calling our automated system at 713.222.9922.
To schedule an inspection online:
- Enter the appropriate project number into the field and click the Submit button.
- Select the appropriate permit type and click the Submit button.
- Click on the Request link
- Select the appropriate type of inspection
- Enter your license number (digits only) and 4-digit scheduling PIN and click the Submit button.
To schedule an inspection with our Interactive Response System, please call 713.222.9922. To save time, please have your project number and scheduling PIN available.
Please note that inspections that repeatedly fail may be charged a re-inspection fee in addition to an admin fee.
Applicants may now sign up for email or text notifications via our Inspections Notification System.
To obtain information about the inspector assigned to your project, please call our section at 832.394.8860 between 7:15 am and 8 am on the date of the inspection.