City Council recently approved a package of ordinances to increase the safety and operator accountability for boarding homes, lodging facilities, and correctional and alternate housing facilities. The ordinance strikes a balance between life safety for residents living in these facilities, transparency for concerned residents living near facilities, and accountability for operators who must come into compliance with City ordinances.
Proposed Ordinance Changes
Forms and Resources
- Pre-application questionnaire (form CE1326)
- Boarding home and lodging facility permit application (form CE1325)
- Owner's affidavit for boarding home facility (form CE1328)
- Employee's affidavit for boarding home facility (form CE1327)
- Correctional facility and alternate housing facility permit application
- Inspection application for all facility types (form CE1329)
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Online inspection request (for Occupancy inspections only)
- Online appointment scheduler (for annual inspection and Occupancy applications)
- Texas Health and Safety Code
- Ordinance No. 2018-225 Boarding Home
- Ordinance No. 2018-226 Lodging Facility
- Ordinance No. 2018-227 Correctional/Alternate Housing Facility
- List of Alternate Housing and Correctional Facilities applications and permit issuance
- List of TDCJ-approved alternate housing facilities
- List of boarding homes and lodging facilities applications and permit issuance
Do you have concerns about a facility operated in your neighborhood? Report a possible unpermitted facility to Houston 311.
What is a boarding home?
Boarding Home means an establishment that:
- Furnishes, in one or more buildings, lodging to three or more persons with disabilities or elderly persons who are unrelated to the owner of the establishment by blood or marriage; and
- Provides residents with community meals, light housework, meal preparation, transportation, grocery shopping, money management, laundry services, or assistance with self-administration or medication, but does not provide personal care services as defined by Section 247.002 of the Texas Health and Safety Code to those persons.
What is a lodging facility?
Lodging Facility means an establishment that furnishes lodging to three or more persons who are unrelated to the owner of the establishment by blood or marriage. The term “lodging facility” shall not include:
- A boarding home, as defined in article XIV of Chapter 28,
- A hotel or bed and breakfast facility, each as defined in article VI of Chapter 28, or
- A single-family residential building, condominium, or townhouse that is owner-occupied for at least three months of the year.
What is a correctional facility?
Correctional Facility means a facility for the housing and rehabilitation or training of adults on parole, early release or pre-release, or any other form of executive, judicial or administrative release from a penal institution. Such a facility shall not include a facility that is:
- Used primarily as a temporary holding facility
- Used primarily for persons arrested for or found guilty of misdemeanor offenses;
- Located in or near court facilities; or
- Used primarily to hold prisoners awaiting transfer to a state facility
What is an alternate housing facility?
Alternate Housing Facility means a resident in which three or more unrelated parolees reside that:
- Is owned by an individual, private entity, or non-profit or faith-based organization
- Is not operated by, established by, or contracted with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ); and
- Will be operated under TDCJ approval
Hours of operation
Correctional and Alternate Housing Facility:
Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
Boarding Home and Lodging Facility:
Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 4 pm
Monday through Thursday, 8 am to 4 pm