1002 Washington Ave., 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
A mechanical permit is required to install or replace a commercial chiller or AHU. A chiller is a machine that removes heat from a liquid via a vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycle. An Air Handler Unit (AHU) is a blower or fan used for the purpose of distributing supply air to a room, space, or area.
Please note that some types of projects may require plan review before approval.
Applicants seeking a permit to install or replace a commercial chiller or AHA should be prepared to provide:
- A completed copy of CE-1017 Mechanical/HVAC Building Permit Application, and
- A copy of their TDLR licensing paperwork if they have not yet registered with the City of Houston as a Mechanical Contractor.
To apply for a mechanical permit online:
1. Log in or register for an iPermits account at: https://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/ILMS_Online_Permits/default.asp,
2. Complete a mechanical permit application in the iPermits portal,
3. Pay any applicable fees associated with the application, and
4. Print the permit.
To apply for a mechanical permit in person, please submit a completed copy of the CE-1017 Mechanical/HVAC Building Permit Application to our main office located at 1002 Washington Avenue, 4th floor, Houston, Texas 77002.
Please note that some types of projects may require plan review before approval. When requesting a plan review for your project, please be sure to provide two complete sets of plans if submitting by paper.
To submit your plans for review online:
1. Log in or register for an iPermits account.
2. Complete a mechanical permit application in the iPermits portal.
3. Pay any applicable fees associated with the application.
4. After permit fees have been paid, you will receive an invitation to upload plans into ProjectDox.
5. Upload all required documents and drawings to ProjectDox.
6. Mark the assigned task "complete" to finalize your plan submission.
To submit your plans for review please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002. Once submitted, your plans will be routed to a mechanical plan examiner who will determine if your project meets code. When your review cycle is complete, you will be notified that your plans are ready for pickup. To resubmit plans with corrections, please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor window at 1002 Washington.
Please keep an approved copy of the plans on site for inspection. If your project passes inspection, documentation of the inspection will be entered into the database. If corrections are required, you may schedule a re-inspection online or by calling our automated system at (713) 222-9922.
To schedule an inspection online:
1. Access our scheduling website through the link below.
2. Enter the appropriate project number into the field and click the submit button.
3. Select the type of inspection that you wish to schedule and click the submit button.
4. Enter your license number (enter digits only) and PIN.
To schedule an inspection with our Interactive Response System, please call (713) 222-9922. To save time, please have your project number and scheduling PIN available.
To obtain an inspection on a project, the mechanical contractor's license, insurance and registration must be in good standing.