Storm Damage Repair Tips

We would like to offer homeowners a few safety and repair tips for storm recovery (Repair Brochure: English | Español).


Avoid scams

Consumers should be on alert for potential scams. For any repair work, it is recommended to get three bids and review each bid carefully.

Licensed vs. unlicensed contractors

General contractors are not required to be licensed. Check with the Better Business Bureau or other similar sites for reported scams and complaints.

Electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors must be registered with the City of Houston and licensed by the State of Texas. Out of state licenses are not accepted except for those under the State of Texas’ reciprocity agreement.

Visit the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation to verify licenses or to view complaints against Master Electricians and HVAC technicians, and the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners to verify licenses or to view complaints against Master Plumbers.


Repair Permits

Electrical, mechanical and plumbing contractors making repairs must purchase a permit. Visit the Sold Permit Search to check if a permit has been purchased.

All electrical work must be completed by a licensed electrician.

Permits are not required for:

  • Tarping
  • Replacing wooden or metal fences (less than 8 feet in height)
  • Painting, papering, tiling, wood flooring and carpeting
  • Replacing cabinets, countertops and similar finish work
  • Repairing damaged sheet-rock or drywall (except when part of a shared wall in a townhome/condo)
  • Replacing bathroom or kitchen faucets


Properties in the floodplain

Property located within the floodplain (i.e. Special Hazard Area,100-year floodplain, 500-year floodplain, or floodway) may require a Floodplain Development Permit. Contact the Floodplain Management Office prior to starting any repairs at [email protected] or 832.394.8854.