Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs
901 Bagby St.
Houston, TX 77002
The City of Houston has regulations, procedures and permit requirements to authorize artwork for placement on City of Houston property such as a right of way, park, health center, police or fire station, library or community center. This includes artworks such as murals, sculptures, art displays and commemoratives.
City Department Directors may authorize Temporary Art Permits.
The Director may extend the temporary placement for two consecutive periods of time not to exceed 90 days each, for a total of 270 days. Temporary art displays cannot become permanent installations once the permits have expired.
Permanent artworks require approval by Houston’s City Council.
Required documents to begin application:
- Proposal statement - the basics of who, what, where, and when
- Visuals of artwork - photos or artistic renderings
- Aerial view of where on the property artwork is to be installed, clearly marked with box where artwork will be
- Certificate of insurance of $1,000,000
- Create an account or sign in.
- Upload the required files
- Upon receipt of application, a staff member will reach out to you to discuss next steps.
- If your project is approved to proceed, you will be required to sign (and have notarized) a standard release form and return to the City of Houston, at which point you will receive the Temporary Art Permit notifying you that you have notice to proceed with your display.
Application must be submitted at least 40 consecutive days before the display date sought.