1002 Washington Ave., 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
A homeowner may obtain a permit to install and maintain plumbing if they:
- own, occupy, and have the property registered as their homestead; and
- will perform the plumbing work themselves.
All work must be inspected and comply with the current plumbing code.
Materials used shall be of “approved” type. Plumbing work shall be installed in accordance with the City Ordinances regulating construction in the City of Houston.
The minimum permit fee is $86.39 plus admin fee, for a total of $116.11.
- A Homeowner's Plumbing Permit application (CE-1284)
- Driver's license or proof of homestead
- Method of payment
All visitors must comply with COVID-19 screening protocols and wear a face covering while in the building. When you arrive:
- Obtain a ticket at the Information Desk for Plumbing Inspections.
- Take the elevator to the 4th floor and wait for your ticket number to be called.
- A representative will review your application and, if approved, set up your permit.
- Complete your payment at the cashier station located on the 1st floor.
- Applicant must own and occupy the residence as their homestead.
NOTE: The submittal, review and approval of plans may be required for some types of projects. Please contact the Plumbing Section at 832-394-8870 or [email protected] for more information.
All plans must be submitted electronically. To submit your plans for review, follow these steps:
- Log in or register for an iPermits account.
- Complete a permit application in the iPermits portal.
- Pay any applicable fees associated with the application.
- After permit fees have been paid, you will receive an invitation to upload plans into ProjectDox.
- Upload all required documents and drawings to ProjectDox.
- Mark the assigned task "complete" to finalize your plan submission.
For a complete and detail list of steps, please refer to the EPR User guides at https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/our-services/eservices.
Please keep a copy of the permit and the approved copy of the plans (if applicable) on-site for inspection.
If corrections are required, you will need to reschedule the inspection.
To schedule an inspection, call Plumbing Inspections at 832.394.8870 one day prior to the desired inspection date.
Inspections that repeatedly fail may be charged a re-inspection fee in addition to an admin fee.
Prior to scheduling an inspection, please make sure that the permit is not inactive and that all holds (if any) have been approved.
Applicants may sign up for email or text notifications via our Inspections Notification System.