Service Update Notification: Building Code Enforcement Expedited Review Service (ERS)
Building Code Enforcement will be launching a new Guide & Form for its’ Expedited Review Service (ERS) on May 9, 2022. The document lists the procedure and qualifications for the review of submitted plans outside of regular business hours, when allowed in accordance with Section 1 18.1.8 of the Houston Building Code.
- At least one complete full review cycle must have been performed and the plans processed out of the system as rejected with rejection comments. Note: Does not include plans that have not met the prerequisites
- Plans must be in the system. Requests for plans that are not in the system by 8:00 a.m. will be discarded.
- Approval from “outside” departments is not required.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to make sure drawings and any documentation requirements have been adequately met and included. Loss of fees paid and/or rejection for missing drawings/documents are at the customer’s risk.
- Limited to the first 30 requests received
- One project per email request.
- Service offered for Structural, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Electrical reviews only.
- Requests must be submitted between 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. Request submitted before 6:00 am will NOT be accepted.
- The review will be performed by Bureau Veritas, a third-party company within 24 business hours only. The review clock starts at noon.
- Requests for Expedited Review Service (ERS) on a given day will be fulfilled on the day on which it is received. A request for a subsequent day will not be processed.
- Unfilled requests on any given day can be requested the next business day.
- Projects involving an ERS are limited to 4 trades per evening. Each subsequent day’s request will be treated as a new request
- If additional applications were required per the reviewer’s comments, this project does not qualify for ERS.
- The Plan Review Section reserves the right to modify these criteria at our discretion.
EXPEDITED REVIEW SERVICE FEES
Minimum four hours $292.97 per trade plus an Administration Fee of $30.51
(Each hour or portion thereof exceeding four hours will be billed at $76.28 plus an Administration Fee of $30.51)
Expedited Review Services (ERS) can be paid online via iPermits or in person at the Houston Permitting Center. Payment details will be provided in the confirmation email sent at the time the ERS request is able to be fulfilled. The payment must be done immediately after receiving the confirmation email. Plans will not be released until full payment is received.
The Planning Department and Health Department also offer expedited plan reviews for qualified projects. Please review their guidelines for more details: