Registered electrical contractors who wire and/or install conductors and equipment for motors to must apply for an electrical permit. Registered electrical contractors who must apply for an electrical permit. Motors that may require a permit include (but are not limited to) ceiling fan motors, fire pump motors, exhaust fan motors, and ventilation fan motors. Some types of security lighting may also require an electrical permit. Some types of security lighting may also require an electrical permit.
- Up to and including 1HP: $3.55
- 1HP through 10HP: $10.07
- Motors over 10 HP: $7.11
- Each additional HP for motors over 10 HP: $1.60
- Licensed electrical contractors seeking an electrical permit must register their master and contractor licenses with the City of Houston. Note: Electrical permits are only issued to registered master electricians.
- A completed copy of the iPermits Acknowledgement Form is required for first-time users of the iPermits system.
To apply for an electrical permit online, registered electrical contractors must follow the steps below:
- Log in or register for an iPermits account at https://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/ILMS_Online_Permits/default.asp,
- Complete an electrical permit application in the iPermits portal,
- Pay any applicable fees associated with the application, and
- Print the permit.
Only Available to Advance Pay Account holders
To apply for an electrical permit by fax, please have your registered electrical contractor send a completed copy of the CE-1057 Electrical Building Permit Application to 832.395.9601.
All plans must be submitted electronically. To submit your plans for review, follow these steps:
- Log in or register for an iPermits account.
- Complete a permit application in the iPermits portal.
- Pay any applicable fees associated with the application.
- After permit fees have been paid, you will receive an invitation to upload plans into ProjectDox.
- Upload all required documents and drawings to ProjectDox.
- Mark the assigned task "complete" to finalize your plan submission.
For a complete and detail list of steps, please refer to the EPR User guides at https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/our-services/eservices
Please keep a copy of the permit and the approved copy of the plans (if applicable) on-site for inspection. If corrections are required, you will need to reschedule the inspection.
To schedule inspections, contact the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System at 713-222-9922.
Please follow the prompts and have the project number and your scheduling PIN readily available.
To schedule an inspection online:
1. Access our scheduling website through the link below.
2. Enter the appropriate project number into the field and click the Submit button.
3. Select the appropriate permit type from the drop-down box and click the Submit button.
4. Click on the "Request" link.
5. Select the type of inspection(s) that you wish to schedule by clicking on the text box besides it/them.
6. Enter your license number (digits only) and scheduling PIN number and click the Submit button.
In order to schedule an inspection, both the electrical master and contractor's licenses registrations must be in good standing.
Inspections that repeatedly fail may be charged a re-inspection fee in addition to an admin fee.
Prior to scheduling an inspection, please make sure that the permit is not inactive and that all holds (if any) have been approved.
Applicants may now sign up for email or text notifications via our Inspections Notification System.
To obtain information about the inspector assigned to your project, please call our section at 832.394.8860 between 7:15 am and 8 am on the date of the inspection.