Alteration of HVAC (Commercial/Residential)
Applicants who wish to modify or alter an existing HVAC system by adding/removing parts or equipment must obtain a mechanical permit.
Please note that a complete plan review may be required for some scopes of work.
Applicants seeking a permit to alter an existing HVAC system should be prepared to provide:
- A completed copy of CE-1017 Mechanical/HVAC Building Permit Application, and
- A completed copy of the iPermits Acknowledgement Form if they are a first-time user of the iPermits system.
To apply for a mechanical permit online:
1. Log in or register for an iPermits account at: https://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/ILMS_Online_Permits/default.asp,
2. Complete a mechanical permit application in the iPermits portal,
3. Pay any applicable fees associated with the application, and
4. Print the permit.
To apply for a mechanical permit in person, please submit a completed copy of the CE-1017 Mechanical/HVAC Building Permit Application to our main office located at 1002 Washington Avenue, 4th floor, Houston, Texas 77002.
Please note that some types of projects may require plan review before approval. When requesting a plan review for your project, please be sure to provide two complete sets of plans if submitting by paper.
To submit your plans for review please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002. Once submitted, your plans will be routed to an mechanical plan examiner who will determine if your project meets code. When your review cycle is complete, you will be notified that your plans are ready for pickup. To resubmit plans with corrections, please bring two complete sets of plans to the 3rd floor window at 1002 Washington.
To submit your plans for review online:
1. Log in or register for an iPermits account.
2. Complete a mechanical permit application in the iPermits portal.
3. Pay any applicable fees associated with the application.
4. After permit fees have been paid, you will receive an invitation to upload plans into ProjectDox.
5. Upload all required documents and drawings to ProjectDox.
6. Mark the assigned task "complete" to finalize your plan submission.
Please keep an approved copy of the plans on site for inspection. If your project passes inspection, documentation of the inspection will be entered into the database. If corrections are required, you may schedule a re-inspection online or by calling our automated system at (713) 222-9922.
To schedule an inspection with our Interactive Response System, please call (713) 222-9922. To save time, please have your project number and scheduling PIN available.
To schedule an inspection online:
1. Access our scheduling website through the link below.
2. Enter the appropriate project number into the field and click the submit button.
3. Select the type of inspection that you wish to schedule and click the submit button.
4. Enter your license number (enter digits only) and PIN.
To obtain an inspection on a project, the mechanical contractor's license must be in good standing.
Prior to scheduling an inspection, please make sure that the permit is not inactive and that all holds have been approved.
Please note that inspections that repeatedly fail may be charged a re-inspection fee in addition to an admin fee.