Licensed Sign Contractor

Instrument Reference Number
Areas of Interest
Valid Period
1 year
Not Required
Plan Review
Not Required
Admin fee
Renewal fee
Processing Time
3 to 5 business days

Any person or company engaging in exterior sign work for others must be licensed.

Apply What you need
  • Sign Contractor License Application
  • Construction Bond Affidavit
  • Removal Bond Affidavit
  • Proof of Insurance and Endorsement (City of Houston Sign Administration as Certificate Holder)
Apply in Person Steps
  1. Obtain a ticket for Sign Administration from one of the four kiosks located on the 1st floor at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, TX 77002.
  2. Proceed to the 4th floor and scan ticket to be placed in the queue.
  3. Once number is called, submit application packet to the licensing contact.
  4. Receive a sales order and proceed to cashier station to pay fees or charge to the APA if available.
Apply Conditions & Exceptions

A relationship (dedicated or contract) with a Sign Master Electrician registered with the Electrical Inspections Division is also required if the company will be installing electrical signs.

Renew What you need
  1. Thirty (30) days prior to the renewal date, an invoice will be mailed to the billing address listed on the application.
  2. Ensure APA is sufficiently funded to cover current renewal fee (including Admin Fee) so that Sign Administration can sell-out the renewal.
  3. Receive renewal receipt via mail.
Renew by Mail Steps
  1. Return the invoice amount by check (money order, cashier check, business check) to

    City of Houston - Sign Administration
    P.O. Box 2688
    Houston, TX 77252-2688
  2. Once the payment is processed, a license receipt will be mailed to the address on file.

Source URL: