Vacant, Assistant Director - Building Official



pwe logoGeneral Permit Information


A Note on Deed Restrictions:

Before you begin new home construction or home improvement project, please consult your civic association regarding possible deed restrictions. You may not purchase a building permit without signing a sworn deed restriction affidavit stating that you are aware of and agree to abide by deed restrictions pertaining to your project. If you knowingly or unknowingly sign the deed restriction affidavit under false pretenses, you could be subject to municipal court citations, fines, and the removal of the structure or violating portion thereof.


What type of work requires a building permit?

Projects that require a permit include (but are not limited to):

  • New construction of buildings or structures
  • Alterations, repairs or additions to existing buildings or structures
  • Changes in the use or occupancy of an existing building or structure
  • Interior tenant lease build-outs, remodeling and repairs
  • Exterior remodels, alterations or repairs
  • Moving/relocating existing buildings
  • Demolition (interior and complete buildings)
  • Fences over 8' high or fences constructed of concrete or masonry
  • Driveways and sidewalks
  • Parking lot paving and repairs


Back to top


What type of work is exempt from a building permit?

The following are examples of work that is exempt from a building permit:

  • Cosmetic alterations to existing buildings such as paint, wallpaper and carpeting.
  • Exterior one-story detached storage buildings less than 120 square feet.
  • Fences below 8 feet high that are not constructed of masonry or concrete.
  • Repair of exterior wood facia, trim, and soffits to a one- or two-family dwelling, as well as siding that does not exceed 128 square feet and is not part of a fire-rated assembly.
  • Roof covering to a one- or two-family dwelling that does not exceed 100 square feet
  • Uncovered wood decks, accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling that are not more than 30 inches above grade.

However, you are encouraged to contact the Structural Inspection Section at 832.394.8840 before beginning any project to determine whether or not permits are required.

Back to top

Where can I purchase a permit?

To apply for a permit please visit our main office located at 1002 Washington St., Houston, TX 77002.

To apply for trade permits and/or submit plans, you may visit one of our satellite offices located at:

  • 3915 Rustic Woods Dr. Kingwood, TX 77345 | MAP
  • 3825 Dacoma St. Houston, TX 77092 | MAP
  • 1335 Regents Park #130 Houston, TX 77058 | MAP

Trade permits may also be purchased online at


Back to top


What are your office hours?

Our office hours are from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday-Friday. However, some Sections have different hours of operation; please contact 832.394.9000 for a complete listing.


Back to top


During what hours can I purchase a permit?

Permits may be purchased from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday


Back to top


What is the cost of building permit fees?

To access Code Enforcement's Fee Schedule, click here.


New constructions, renovations and repairs are based on valuation. If you need further clarification concerning fees or have questions concerning building permits, please call 832.394.8810.


Back to top


Can I obtain a Building Permit Application online?

The Building Permit Application can be downloaded at our Forms & Publications Page.


Back to top


Which permits can I obtain as the homeowner?

A homeowner may obtain building, sidewalk/driveway, plumbing and mechanical permits. For plumbing and mechanical permits, the homeowner needs to obtain an approval from these sections. Please call the appropriate section for more information:

  • Mechanical Inspections: 832-394-8850
  • Plumbing Inspections: 832-394-8870


Back to top


Is a General Contractor’s license required to obtain a building permit?

A general contractor is not required to have a license to obtain a building permit.


Back to top


When will my building permit expire?

Permits are good for 180 days. They are automatically renewed every time a transaction takes place.


Back to top


Where can I file an extension for a building permit?

Extensions are usually granted for 180 days. Please call the Structural Inspections Section to find out if you qualify for an extension at 832.394.8840.


Back to top


How do I schedule an inspection?

Inspections may be scheduled via phone, online, or in person.

To schedule an inspection via phone, call the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) at 713-222-9922 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to schedule next day inspections.

To schedule an inspection online please click here.


Back to top


When is a sidewalk/driveway bond required?

A yearly bond in the sum of $2000 is required for the construction, reconstruction, and/or repair of any sidewalk, driveway, curb or gutter in the City’s right-of-way. Click here to download the Sidewalk, Driveway, Curb and Gutter Builders Bond form.


Back to top


Where do I submit a sidewalk/driveway bond?

All bonds should be submitted to the Permits Section. Only original documents are accepted. A Customer Service Representative will assign a City of Houston bond number. You must provide this number every time you need to purchase a sidewalk/driveway permit.

If an individual other than the bond holder is purchasing the permit, a letter of authorization from the bond holder must be provided to the Customer Service Representative.

Note: All bonds are valid for one year; it is your responsibility to provide renewals to the Permits Section.



Back to top


Follow HPC

facebook logo. Youttube logo.

HPC twitter logo image



CitizensNet logo.

Would you like to receive periodic emails from the City of Houston on topics of interest to you and your neighborhood? If so, registerwith CitizensNet today!

Service Principles

HPC principles image.

Click here to download document.

© 2018. All rights reserved. City of Houston