Vacant, Assistant Director - Building Official
Manages Building Code Services and administers the provisions in the City's Code of Ordinances and state/federal regulations relating to private building construction, sign administration, and the utility analysis capacity program. Building Code service has over 400 employees and is divided into seven main sections.
- Permits and Code Development
- Plan Review
- Sign Administration
- Green Building Resource Center
- Utility Analysis
Houston Permitting Center
1002 Washington Ave.
Houston, TX 77002 | MAP
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
*Please note that most Sections stop their services at 4:30 p.m. to ensure all customers are assisted.
Important Note: The satellite offices do not accept cash as a form of payment. All satellite offices close from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
3915 Rustic Woods Dr.
Kingwood TX 77345 | MAP
Hours: Monday - Friday
3825 Dacoma St.
Houston, TX 77092 | MAP
Hours: Monday - Friday
1335 Regents Park #130
Houston, TX 77058 | MAP
Hours: Monday - Friday
New Construction Codes - Effective 01/01/2016
On November 10, 2015, the City of Houston Council approved the adoption of the 2012 Construction Code Package. The 2012 Construction Codes and changes will become effective on January 1, 2016
The new City of Houston amendments are available at the Code Development webpage.
2016 Fee Increase - Effective 01/01/2016
Starting January 1, 2016, building inspection, plan review, licenses and permit fees, including the administrative fee will be automatically increased by 0.5351% as required by Section 1-13 of the City of Houston Code of Ordinances. Forms, publications and web pages will be updated soon to reflect the new fees.
Important Notice Regarding Storm Water and Wastewater Letters of Availability - Effective 10/15/2015
We are pleased to announce that the processing time of Storm Water and Wastewater Capacity Reservation Applications has been decreased to 2 - 3 weeks.
As a result, beginning on October 15, 2015, Letters of Availability will be once again become a required prerequisite item as specified on the Prerequisite Checklist (Form CE- 1105) when submitting commercial plans.
• Storm Water Availability Letters are required for all new construction and site renovations.
• Water and Wastewater Availability Letters are required for new construction, change in occupancy, and/or an increase or decrease of capacity for any proposed development.
Photocopies of the Availability Letters or Short Forms, whichever are applicable to the project, will need to be attached to the front of each set of plans submitted.
For questions or further assistance regarding this notice, please contact the Commercial Plan Review Section at 832-394-8810.
Expansion of the Plan Review Deposit Fee - Effective 09/01/2015
Beginning September 1, 2015, the Building Code Enforcement Branch, Plan Review Section will expand the collection of the plan review deposit to both commercial and residential building permits.
The plan review deposit is a nonrefundable 25% down payment towards the total building permit fee; the remaining 75% will be due when the building permit is purchased. Historically, this deposit has been required for submitted commercial plans after the first review; after the effective date, the fee will be paid at the time of application. This will apply to both electronically and paper based plans.
Please note that this fee will not apply to those projects that are not submitted for review, such as those in our One Stop Plan Review program.
Residential Electronic Plan Review (EPR) - Effective 08/31/2015
Residential construction building permit applications and plans now have the option of being uploaded for review via the internet. The Electronic Plan Review System (EPR) allows the customer to submit applications from anywhere without having to visit the Permit Office.
Residential Electronic Plan Review will allow all the steps currently handled in the Permitting Office to be completed online - from submitting the application, to generating a project number, uploading the plans, paying plan review deposit fees, and obtaining notification of results.
Electronic Plan Review is available for new construction projects and projects that do not qualify for One Stop Plan Review.
For more information, visit, visit http://hpcservices.org/
Water/Wastewater Impact Fee Increase - Effective 07/01/2015
All valid applications submitted prior to the close of business Tuesday, June 30, 2015 will be processed under the current impact fee rate.
Impact fees for applications submitted thereafter will be assessed at:
WASTEWATER $1,199.11 per service unit
WATER $626.50 per service unit
The new impact fees reflect a 0.9% adjustment based on the Producer Price Index. This adjustment is in accordance with the City of Houston Code of Ordinances Sections 47-316(B) and 47-384(B), which allows wastewater and water rates to be adjusted annually.