The Permits Section of the Code Enforcement Branch is the starting and ending for most construction projects. The section consists of Customer Service Representatives which provide three main services: Permit Application Process, Utility Releases (Gas and Electric) and Addressing. The Permit office is located on the first floor at 1002 Washington Avenue, Houston, TX 77002.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
PERMIT OFFICE SERVICES
Project Numbers Assignment/Building Permit Application Processing - All construction projects will be assigned a Project Number. The Project Number is a unique number that all of the permits associated with the project will be pulled under. Upon completion of the building permit application, the representative will witness the signature for the affidavit and assign the project number.
First time submittal of plans - If plans are ready to be submitted for plan review, this process can be done at the same time as the application is processed, saving the customer valuable steps. Please ensure that commercial projects meet the Plan Review Prerequisites.
- Building Permits – Once the plans are reviewed and the permit is ready for purchase the permit office will collect the permit application and create a Sales Order to take to the cashiers or process the payment for Advance Payment Account holders. For information regarding Advance Pay Accounts, click here.
- Trade Permits (Electrical, Plumbing, Boiler and Mechanical)
- Earth Hauling Permits
- Fire Alarm & Sprinkler Permits
- Registration Fees
- Demolition Permits (See Demolition Guideline)
- Driveway/Sidewalk Permits
- Miscellaneous Fees
- Processing of Driveway/Sidewalk Bonds (Please click here to access the template)
- Fire Alarm and Sprinkler Contractor Registration
Note: Trade Contractors are licensed by the various Inspection Sections. Please see the Inspections page for more information.
- Electrical and Gas Utility Releases – Click here to access the Request for Temporary Utilities Form (CE-1219)
Note: This section does not assign Premise Permits. Contact the Electrical Inspections Section at 832-394-8860 for more information.
Printing of Certificates of Occupancy and Certificates of Compliance - For new construction/remodels when all inspections have been performed and approved.
Address Assignment or Permit Changes
- Assignment and verification of addresses
- Address Changes
- Change of Contractor on Permits
iPERMITS (ONLINE PERMITS)
For your convenience we offer online permitting. The following permits may be purchased by the properly licensed and registered individual online:
- Mechanical (HVAC)
- Saw Pole (ES)
- Temporary Gas Inspection (PG)
- Medical Gas Permit (PM)
- Demolition (Sewer disconnect previously done)
- Sidewalk/Driveway Permit (A bond number is required on most cases)
Note: A Project number previously set up will need to be provided
To register for this service, please click here.
TRADE PERMITS VIA FAX
Additionally, trade permits may be obtained via fax with an Advance Pay Account. Please be aware that there is a 24 hours turnaround time for permits. For information on how to obtain an Advance Pay Account please click here.
Main Line: 832-394-8899
Utility Releases: 832-394-8847